A Very Special Thanks To...

Jan Leja, our running coach extraordinaire and photographer provided some of the photos on this blog. To see more photos or for questions or comments, visit his web page: RunWithJan.com

Saturday, May 29, 2010

A Tough Taper

It's been a tough taper which is part of why I've neglected updating my blog regularly...again. I've been following my training schedules (aside from the past two weeks...details later) and my anticipation for the marathon and triathlon are growing. The weather has been nicer, the days have been longer, and I've never been busier!

Tonight is the night before the VT City Marathon. It will be my 7th VCM, my 16th marathon, and to make it more special--it's on my birthday! Normally, the weeks leading up to a marathon I scale back on my mileage and get extra sleep. The day before a marathon I rest, eat well, and hydrate. This time around has been very different for both me and Marty and not by intention. I'll try to be brief by describing the highlights (or low points).

Three weeks ago, Marty and I completed a long, full brick workout (1000 + yard swim, 25 mile bike, 5K run) and then continued home to work on our yard. Marty split and stacked wood for six hours while I mowed the lawn, planted, weeded, and stacked wood. The following morning we were nearly crippled for our long run. Poor Marty had to cut his run short and catch a ride back because of shin pain which turned out to be tendinitis. Fortunately, after working diligently with a PT, he recovered. However, we both cut back our mileage...to nothing aside from our long run on the weekend.

Marty's saga continued with a diagnosis of a sinus infection this Monday. Fortunately, his doctor prescribed an aggressive, quick-acting antibiotic to speed his recovery.

On Tuesday morning, Riley decided he needed to go to the emergency vet for some spinal pain symptoms. (A year ago today, Riley ended up at the emergency vet for a major spinal surgery-- he has degenerative disc disease and a ruptured disc paralyzed him. Amazingly, he recovered almost 100%). The vet said he'd be okay with some rest and pain meds and they sent us on our way.

Wednesday Riley was ok. Thursday night, Riley became sick with diarrhea. Friday morning, Riley vomited all his food--partially digested and continued with
diarrhea . This morning Riley vomited again. So, it was time for another trip to the emergency vet. After thorough blood work, x-rays, and IV fluids...Riley was sent back home to rest.

Now, we're finally home to begin our eating well, resting, and hydrating. Not your typical pre-marathon routine.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and to Mooseman on a very near horizon (next Saturday). Stay tuned for a VCM update.

Please help us save lives one mile at a time by making a donation to our Team Courcelle triathlon fundraiser for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment