This evening I went out for my first open water swim! Many of my trimates have been out 3+ times already and I haven't been able to join them with marathon tapering and issues with Riley being sick.
So, we gathered to swim in Lake Champlain after a full day of rain. C-c-c-old! The water temp must have been in the high 50s, or possibly 60. It felt the worst on my feet, face, and hands.
Trying to swim in the lake was like learning to swim all over again. The water was cold and dark...it made me kind of miss seeing the floaters in the murky pool water.
I walked out a ways before I tried to swim. I reverted to my advanced doggy paddle with my face out of the water for warmth and comfort. I put my face in and attempted some freestyle swimming. It was amazing how quickly I was out of breath. I'm not sure if I was panicked, cold, or exhausted.
I rolled over and backstroked a bit which helped me to relax some although I had trouble swimming straight--according to my coach. All of a sudden, I felt something tap me. I was certain it was Champ or a lamprey, but it was my coach kindly redirecting me.
On the way back, I felt a little more comfortable and I completed more strokes on my stomach. It's going to take some time to get used to this, which I don't have. I'm meeting one of my trimates for another swim some early morning. We leave for Mooseman on Thursday night...time is ticking.
I'm thankful I had the opportunity to get in the water with my trimates, however, now I know how scary it is. I also learned that apparently there are eels in the lake. What?!? I thought they were strictly salt water creatures. Ignorance was bliss!
Please help us save lives one mile at a time by contributing to our Team Courcelle triathlon fundraiser for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment