A Very Special Thanks To...

Jan Leja, our running coach extraordinaire and photographer provided some of the photos on this blog. To see more photos or for questions or comments, visit his web page: RunWithJan.com

Sunday, January 31, 2010

A TRIing Weekend



Phew! We're exhausted! Marty and I enjoyed our first full week of tri training. Training for three sports means three times the fun. I enjoyed having an alternative to running when I woke up on Friday and Saturday morning to temps in the single digits...and negative single digits (before wind chills).

Friday morning we dragged ourselves out of bed for some early morning spinning in our garage (a.k.a. indoor winter cycling studio). The single digit temps outside dipped the garage temperature into the upper 30s, which made for a chilly start. Nonetheless, it was MUCH better than running outside in the 20-30 mph wind gusts.

Saturday morning we pried ourselves out of bed nice and early for a swim session at the gym. We met up with five of our other teammates and started to recreate the drills we had worked on on Thursday night to the best of our memories. Shortly into our swim session, our coach's daughter, Eliza joined us to provide us some coaching. She encouraged me to try an new drill using a kickboard. So for the next 30-45 minutes, I used a kickboard to focus on my breathing and rolling up onto my side as I swim. I LOVED it! The drill was exhausting for me, but so much fun. Things quickly turned downhill (or underwater) when Eliza suggested I try the same drill without the kickboard. I took a few reasonable strokes and then regressed to my sinker status. Nearly ninety minutes later, all pruney and chilled, we decided to call it a day.

Sunday morning rolled around quicker than ever. We met up with our running group for a COLD 12 mile run. It was a balmy two or three degrees...above zero for once! After the first two miles, I regained sensation in my toes and started to warm up. When we hit the six mile mark, we turned around to head back and we were abruptly greeted with a frigid headwind. The headwind plummeted us for the entire six miles back to our car. It was so cold that our eyelashes, eyebrows, and hair frosted over (look closely at the pictures above). I'll have to remember this run during the triathlon when we're freezing in Newfound lake...it's all relative, right?
Please support our cause, donate to our Team Courcelle fundraising efforts for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment