A Very Special Thanks To...

Jan Leja, our running coach extraordinaire and photographer provided some of the photos on this blog. To see more photos or for questions or comments, visit his web page: RunWithJan.com

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Better off not breathing...

I feel the need for speed. In the pool this week, we did quite a few sets focused on speed. My competitive instincts kicked in and I gave it all I had. It's worth mentioning that I beat Marty at least two times, tied fourish times, and finished a trillisecond behind Marty two times (according to Marty). It's amazing that I'm actually able to keep up with my trimates--especially if you saw my earliest weeks in the pool.

Tonight, we were challenged to swim as far as we could without breathing. This seemed ironic as I spent the first eight weeks of our training trying to figure out how to breathe. I struggled to learn how to breathe relaxed, controlled, and with rhythm. And now, I was being asked to throw all that out the window.

The lifeguard supervising the pool, gently reminded our coach that we needed to take at least one breath. I didn't think that would be a problem for me--I like to breathe. So, I tried it. I took a big deep breath and pushed off the wall to swim as fast and far as I could get on one breath. I made it about 3/4 of a length before I needed to get some air. We repeated this drill four times with a brief break in between each lap. I was pretty consistently swimming 3/4 of a length without air.

After we finished, my coach commented that my stroke "looks great" when I'm not breathing. So, I guess I'm better off not breathing. Oh, the irony!

Please support our Team Courcelle fundraiser for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment