A Very Special Thanks To...

Jan Leja, our running coach extraordinaire and photographer provided some of the photos on this blog. To see more photos or for questions or comments, visit his web page: RunWithJan.com

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Osteoarthritis???

I've been experiencing increased pain in the top part of my foot lately where I have boney bump sticking out. I actually have this in both feet, although my right foot is worse. I've had these bumps for a few years now (at least that's when I noticed them), however, the pain and discomfort has been more intense and more frequent.

My doctor diagnosed me with osteoarthritis...at only 30 years old! Yikes and youch! There's not really much I can do other than try some orthotics and see a PT to try and alleviate the pain. My pain is minimal (more just annoying), until it worsens after I run (it throbs for a few hours). I'm hoping orthotics will offer some relief by supporting my arches.

So, I've done some research on osteoarthritis and here's what I've found...
  • Osteoarthritis (a.k.a. Degenerative Arthritis) is joint inflamation from cartilege degeneration and eventual loss
  • Occurs more frequently with age (usually after 45 in men and 55 in women)
  • Causes deep aching joint pain that gets worse after exercise
  • Osteoarthritis in hands and feet can have a genetic basis
  • Swimming is a recommended exercise for people with osteoarthritis because it is low impact on joints
Please help us save lives one mile at a time by supporting our Leukemia & Lymphoma Society fundraiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment