A Very Special Thanks To...

Jan Leja, our running coach extraordinaire and photographer provided some of the photos on this blog. To see more photos or for questions or comments, visit his web page: RunWithJan.com

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My First Mile...I Did It!

I reached a new milestone (really, a mile) this evening. I swam a mile! Actually, with my warm up, I swam even more! I really did it! Three weeks ago, a mile would have killed me.

I'm not sure what my previous cumulative distance total was, but I'm pretty sure I've never reached a mile--at least not continuously.

Actually, today's mile wasn't completely continous. We were allowed 10-15 second breaks(I admit that sometimes these breaks crept closer to 30 seconds) in between each 100 yards. Even with the breaks, this is HUGE progress for me. Perhaps you have to see me to believe it, but trust me. Ask any of my team mates who saw me swim on day one (or week or month one). I think our coach, St. Maria, would agree.

And my breathing, you ask? My breathing was all of a sudden under control--no completely comfortable, but manageable. I have no idea what I'm doing different, but it just clicked tonight. This is good. I feel more confident about my ability to complete the swim portion of the triathlon. Now, I just need to get in gear on the bike and focus on my running.

For now, I'll celebrate and savor my first mile. I don't remember my first mile run (although I'm sure it was around the lower soccer field at Barstow Elementary School), or my first bike mile (although I'm sure it was around Eastridge Acres), but I'm sure I'll remember this mile for quite some time. I did it!

Please help us save lives one mile at a time and support our Team Courcelle fundraiser for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! This is huge and you have the right to be proud. I'm a big chicken about swimmming with my face in the water, so I understand what an accomplishment this is. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete