
You may have noticed that I've fallen behind on my blog postings lately. I've been on the go and I've had a lot of late nights that haven't left me with much time for blogging. I'll attempt to summarize my latest progress and adventures...
On Saturday, we completed our final spin class and I am spun out! Our instructor was great and I appreciated the training support, but I am sooooo glad it is over. Indoor, stationary exercise is torture for me. I don't like staying in one place, breathing in warm sweaty air. Yuck. I'm looking forward to our first outdoor ride this weekend in temps predicted to reach the high 70s. Yippee! Let's hope it's uneventful.
I ran the Eastern States 20 Mile Race as a training run in Sunday. This race has become an annual tradition for several members of our RunWithJan running group. I must admit that my favorite part of the weekend is outlet shopping in Kittery, Maine. There are so many great deals this time of year.
Then there was the race part. The run was great...aside from the wind. We were fortunate to have partly cloudy skies and mild temps (high 30s, maybe low 40s), however we had a substantial 25 mph HEADWIND the whole way (with 35 mph gusts). The downside of a point to point course is the potential for headwinds like this.
I had a great first 10 miles and then my legs started to feel the work. It was right at that point that I heard a man's voice call my name. I was surprised to see a new friend, Steve. I met Steve when I was struggling in another race in the fall and we ran together for several miles to comiserate together. Out of the blue, we crossed paths again. We ran miles 10-18 together.
Around mile 15, I was struck by some stomach issues and I needed the race to be over. I tried to redirect my mind and just get through it. The last two miles were the worst as we ran along Hampton Beach. The wind was the strongest in this section as we were right up against the beach wall. The sand was blasting my face and I was thankful for my sunglasses.
I should back up and tell you about mile three. Right around mile three I could feel a blister
starting to form on the arch of my foot. I tried to ignore the knife-slicing sensation that persisted from mile 3 on. At times, the pain was pretty intense--from a blister! When I finished, I cautiously pulled off my sock not knowing what I would find. Fortunately, my skin was still attached, but I had a blister that was about 2 inches in diameter (see pictures). Youch! My other foot had a smaller blood blister in a matching location. Not sure what these blisters were all about.
On Saturday, we completed our final spin class and I am spun out! Our instructor was great and I appreciated the training support, but I am sooooo glad it is over. Indoor, stationary exercise is torture for me. I don't like staying in one place, breathing in warm sweaty air. Yuck. I'm looking forward to our first outdoor ride this weekend in temps predicted to reach the high 70s. Yippee! Let's hope it's uneventful.
I ran the Eastern States 20 Mile Race as a training run in Sunday. This race has become an annual tradition for several members of our RunWithJan running group. I must admit that my favorite part of the weekend is outlet shopping in Kittery, Maine. There are so many great deals this time of year.
Then there was the race part. The run was great...aside from the wind. We were fortunate to have partly cloudy skies and mild temps (high 30s, maybe low 40s), however we had a substantial 25 mph HEADWIND the whole way (with 35 mph gusts). The downside of a point to point course is the potential for headwinds like this.
I had a great first 10 miles and then my legs started to feel the work. It was right at that point that I heard a man's voice call my name. I was surprised to see a new friend, Steve. I met Steve when I was struggling in another race in the fall and we ran together for several miles to comiserate together. Out of the blue, we crossed paths again. We ran miles 10-18 together.
Around mile 15, I was struck by some stomach issues and I needed the race to be over. I tried to redirect my mind and just get through it. The last two miles were the worst as we ran along Hampton Beach. The wind was the strongest in this section as we were right up against the beach wall. The sand was blasting my face and I was thankful for my sunglasses.
I should back up and tell you about mile three. Right around mile three I could feel a blister
Please support our fundraising efforts for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Visit our Team Courcelle fundraising page.
No comments:
Post a Comment