A Very Special Thanks To...

Jan Leja, our running coach extraordinaire and photographer provided some of the photos on this blog. To see more photos or for questions or comments, visit his web page: RunWithJan.com

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Breathing Blunders

This was a tough and trying week for training. I was lacking energy and losing motivation. Working late, a migraine with increasing intensity, and exhaustion kept me out of training and on the couch Wednesday although I got back on track the rest of the week.

I'm really enjoying swimming right now--probably the most out of the three sports. I think it's a welcome cross training activity to running and a great diversion from biking (did I mention that I really don't care for biking). As much as I enjoy swimming and I feel that I'm making notable improvement, I'm frustrated by it.

I can't seem to catch my breath when I swim. I can swim a lap and 1/4 before my heart pounds and I'm out of breath. I've had people offer all sorts of suggestions and nothing seems to help. I really think that I could swim all day (or at least a few hours) if I could breath. I've thought about a snorkel, but I don't want to get used to something that isn't going to help me in the long run (not to mention that it's not allowed in the triathlon). I told my coach that my legs and arms feel great and are full of more energy, but my lungs and heart don't match.

This is so frustrating for me. When I run, I can talk and breath comfortably without even thinking about it. The only way I can mimic this in the water is by doing the backstroke (which I LOVE). I love being able to breath when I want to, for as long as I want to.

I'm heading to Florida on Tuesday and I've thought about swimming in the ocean while I'm there. Aside from the fact that it's been a little chilly there, I don't think it's a good idea. I think a shark would surely confuse me for a fish (or whale) in distress with my flailing and flopping in the water. Besides, I probably better generate some energy for the Gasparilla Marathon on Sunday that I signed up for...

Please help us save lives one mile at a time by donating to our fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Visit our Team Courcelle fundraising page.

No comments:

Post a Comment