This morning was the big day--our first try at a full brick. We arrived at the gym for an early morning swim around 6:45--ish (we're never on time). We woke up quickly after swimming several laps in the pool. I was pleasantly surprised to find the water warmer than usual. I hope the water was warmer because they turned up the heater and not because some little kids used the pool as a bathroom before our arrival.
From the pool we rushed to the locker room to change for our first spin class. It's tough changing into spandex when your skin is wet. Roughly 15 minutes later, I was finally ready to spin. I was the last one to be ready--as usual. It's going to be a rude awakening when I don't have time to leisurely transition from one activity to another during the tri.
I don't think the spin instructor was too impressed that we all smelled of chlorine and that we were all somewhat late to start class. She gave us a gentle nudge to be on time by indicating that we were starting late. Our class was focused on endurance and let's just say that I barely endured. We only ended up spinning for 45 minutes. I'm not sure how I'll handle next week's full session with a focus on hills. Our instructor was sure to remind us that, "there will be lots of hills." We climbed two or three hills in this class--one of them was to the song, "Trouble," by Ray LaMontagne. Who would have thought this would be my theme song for riding uphill?
Following our spinning class, we changed once again to run outside. I was quicker at this transition and anxious to get going (so we could get the run over with and eat). My legs felt funny for the first 1/4 mile or so and then I got into a groove. I felt okay until we climbed our first significant hill. My legs felt like concrete cinder blocks. However, I was motivated to finish by the promise of a nice big breakfast.
For a first try at tri...it was okay. I'm encouraged. It's not going to be easy, but it sure is fun. Marty and I adore all of our TEAM mates. We have an awesome group of individuals with great, positive energy.
Please consider supporting our fundraising efforts for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Visit our Team Courcelle web page.
Saturday, February 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment