A Very Special Thanks To...

Jan Leja, our running coach extraordinaire and photographer provided some of the photos on this blog. To see more photos or for questions or comments, visit his web page: RunWithJan.com

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Look Mom, I can swim with no kickboard!


Yes, you're eyes are reading correctly. At today's swim practice, I swam without a kickboard. Overall, I feel like I did a little more swimming and a little less flailing, which means I'm making progress. I'm told that it would be beneficial for me to have had a starting video to compare my current swimming.

I've learned so much over the past couple of days...and today in particular. Here's a summary of some recent lessons:


  • Remember, how I shared about my first day in the pool--another coach came over and asked if I was afraid of putting my face in the water (see post from January 28)? Well, I only kept my face out because that's how I thought you swam the breaststroke (my advanced doggy paddle). Apparently, I over corrected my breaststroke to swim entirely underwater (except to breathe, of course). Now, I know to stay above the water although I'm struggling with timing and proper arm movement.

  • The backstroke is fun and relaxing--probably because I can breathe!

  • The little flags hanging over each end of the pool are not for decoration. They're for knowing where you are when you do the backstroke.

  • Running outside following a swim, with wet hair, in single digit temps is not a good idea=frozen hair.

  • Good swimmers take less than 20 strokes per pool length, Michael Phelps takes about 1/2 of that, and I take 28+.
  • My coach, Maria, is a saint!

That's all for now! Stay tuned.


Please consider making a donation towards our Team Courcelle fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment