

Well, I don't think Michael Phelps has anything to fear just yet. At this evening's swim session I discovered a humbling reality...I've reached a plateau already!
If you were to see me swim (or flail through the water) you'd probably be surprised to hear that I feel as though I've reached a plateau. When you hit rock bottom (or the bottom of a 4 ft. pool) you'd think you can only move up. Then there's me...
Let it be known that I'm perfectly fine with my swimming abilities (or lack thereof) in that I recognize where I am and how far I need to go. Life is not a destination, it's a journey, right? I think (and hope) that my swimming adventures will be the same. I've had many friends, co-workers, and strangers question my intent to do a triathlon without knowing how to swim. Some people think I'm crazy and others just can't comprehend why I'd make such a commitment without the skill of swimming under my belt.
I'm "that person" that the others talk about in the group. Hey, at least I can provide some entertainment value and great stories for coaches, fellow team mates, and any pool onlookers. I'm having a blast in the pool and I'm working hard to get in a groove (even if it doesn't appear so). Our coach, "Saint Maria" (she so deserves that title to have the patience to coach me), always checks in with me and offers encouragement. She recognizes my need for a kickboard and gives gentle instruction with a smile on her face. For that I am so grateful.
For now, I feel I've reached a temporary plateau--partially scaffolded by a kickboard. The nice thing with a tri is that I can always have two more sports to fall back on if the swimming portion doesn't work out well (provided I complete the swim). It'll happen. Stay tuned for some pictures...
Please support our Team Courcelle fundraising efforts for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
If you were to see me swim (or flail through the water) you'd probably be surprised to hear that I feel as though I've reached a plateau. When you hit rock bottom (or the bottom of a 4 ft. pool) you'd think you can only move up. Then there's me...
Let it be known that I'm perfectly fine with my swimming abilities (or lack thereof) in that I recognize where I am and how far I need to go. Life is not a destination, it's a journey, right? I think (and hope) that my swimming adventures will be the same. I've had many friends, co-workers, and strangers question my intent to do a triathlon without knowing how to swim. Some people think I'm crazy and others just can't comprehend why I'd make such a commitment without the skill of swimming under my belt.
I'm "that person" that the others talk about in the group. Hey, at least I can provide some entertainment value and great stories for coaches, fellow team mates, and any pool onlookers. I'm having a blast in the pool and I'm working hard to get in a groove (even if it doesn't appear so). Our coach, "Saint Maria" (she so deserves that title to have the patience to coach me), always checks in with me and offers encouragement. She recognizes my need for a kickboard and gives gentle instruction with a smile on her face. For that I am so grateful.
For now, I feel I've reached a temporary plateau--partially scaffolded by a kickboard. The nice thing with a tri is that I can always have two more sports to fall back on if the swimming portion doesn't work out well (provided I complete the swim). It'll happen. Stay tuned for some pictures...
Please support our Team Courcelle fundraising efforts for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
No comments:
Post a Comment