A Very Special Thanks To...

Jan Leja, our running coach extraordinaire and photographer provided some of the photos on this blog. To see more photos or for questions or comments, visit his web page: RunWithJan.com

Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Hilly, Chilly, and Windy 18

Last night, I decided it would be a great idea to register for the Gasparilla Marathon in Tampa, FL--in just 3 weeks. This means that I had better start training, which is why I ran 18 miles this morning. An 18 mile run has been part of my regular routine for marathon training, however, it's usually something I work up to. Not something I just wake up and do--especially after nearly two months off from running. I think my total mileage over the past two months has been about 50 miles.

My wonderful husband and training partner and I set out for a hilly (rolling hills), chilly (14ish degrees before MAJOR wind chill), and windy (gusts up to 30 mph and sustained winds around 17 mph). FUN! We finished the run and it felt better than I thought it would. I'm absolutely exhausted and starving.

The good news is that this marathon will be a great way to really jump start my training (or so I think) and I'm technically in the best part of marathon training--taper time! This means I start cutting back on my mileage. I guess that's a benefit of signing up for a marathon last minute.

An added benefit is that I'll get to visit my mom, stepfather, and grandparents while in Florida. I should even be able to squeeze in some beach time. And with completion of this marathon, I'll be at a new personal record of 5 marathons in one calendar year, 15 marathons overall, and my 6th different state to run a marathon in.

Please consider making a donation to our Team Courcelle fundraising efforts for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment